Session Title: E-PRENTICE: e-Learning for Trades Training in BC
Time & Date: 2:00 P.M. – 2:55 P.M., Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Location: Rm. 261, Irving K. Barber Learning Centre (IKBLC)
Session Description: The Industry Training Authority (ITA) of BC, in collaboration with representatives of post-secondary trades training providers, industry, secondary school districts, and new media and e-learning companies in BC, has developed a strategy and business plan to implement a flexible learning in trades training initiative. Two key components of the plan are:
- the development of new flexible learning models for trades training to allow apprentices to complete their technical training with less disruption.
- to form partnership organizations that can best integrate and leverage the expertise of public trades training providers, private or non-profit trades training providers, new media and e-learning organizations, and potentially out of province organizations.
The ITA has established a fund to be disbursed over the next three years for development and delivery of flexible learning programs for trades. The flexible learning initiative, now known as E-PRENTICE, is being led and coordinated on behalf of the ITA by BCcampus.
In this session, presenters will provide:
- a summary of the development of the strategy and business plan for the flexible learning for trades training initiative (Geoff, 10-15 minutes)
- an overview of the role of BCcampus as lead and coordinating agency for the E-PRENTICE initiative (David, 10 -15 minutes)
- a brief overview of flexible delivery models and programs for 3 trades programs, and a brief report on the current status of the initiative (Lawrence, 15-20 minutes)
Conference Stream: Learning & Teaching
Session Format: Panel Discussion
Co-presenter: Geoff Stevens
Co-Presenter: Lawrence Parisotto